Expert knowledge from Gay Puckett, REALTOR®.
In the late 1950′s,David Barrow Sr. and his brother Edward envisioned developing the 2000 acres of NW Hills by acquiring the land from Texas Crushed Stone, which had run a limestone quarry between what is now Doss Elementary and Murchison Middle School. The Barrow Preserve and Edward’s Mountain are just two of their namesake sites. The NW Hills branch of the Austin Public Library is aptly named Old Quarry. The former quarry, now called Murchison Hill , is a popular sledding place during our very rare snow days.
Our boundaries are Loop 1 to the east and Loop 360 to the west; 2222 to the south and Spicewood Springs Rd to the north.
As suggested by its name, Northwest Hills offers picturesque views over Bull Creek Preserve and out to the Texas Hill Country. It’s an affluent, close-in suburb with tall mature trees, exemplary schools all right in the neighborhood, two shopping strips and easy access in all directions.
We hold one of the best Fourth of July Parades annually, meeting at Waterline and Far West. The Boy Scout Troop 3 and Pack 2 lead the way of trucks, cars, lawn chair brigade, dog parade, music, candy, Uncle Sam, and other dignitaries and decorated tricycles and wagons. We meet for refreshments and neighborly conversation on the grounds of Doss Elementary. You don’t want to miss this annual NW Hills event!
Condo/Townhomes in NW Hills start at $100,000. Resale homes range from $350,000 to $1.5 million. The majority of the homes were built in the late 1960s through the late 1970s, with many 1-story, average 8’ceilings, mid-range 2400 sqft. Walter Carrington, Nash Phillips Copus, Bill Milburn, Joe Higgs, Russell Eppright, Don Skirrow, Don Reynolds are a few of the builders in NW Hills at various stages of development. There are no HOA fees (Homeowner Association Dues) for the homes in NW Hills.
NW Hills is in close proximity to city access in all directions:
- Seven miles south on Loop 1 to downtown
- Five miles north on Loop 1 to The Domain, with an easy connection to Toll-45 which intersects I-35 at Dell Inc HQ
- Less than five miles to Loop 360, providing easy access to Westlake in SW Austin and the Arboretum in NW Austin
- Two miles north on 183 toward 183A-Toll and all points north
The Dell Jewish Community Center is open to all, regardless of religion. It offers a year-round heated pool, exercise classes and weight room, as well as Jewish schools and synagogues, summer camps and programs. NW Hills also offers seven churches and synagogues (Church of Christ, Episcopal, Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Catholic, Jewish), several of which offer preschool programs. Westover Hills Club has memberships and a summer swim team, The Wild Orcas, coached by 1972 Olympic 3-Gold medalist Sandy Neilson-Bell, in addition to summer camps and year-round tennis lessons. The City of Austin operates a seasonal community pool on the corner of Hart/Far West. There is also a dog park on Bull Creek off Lakewood Dr.
Northwest Hills has its own local HEB, Randall’s, USPS, CVS, Reid’s Dry Cleaners, and two strip shopping centers, and is a short drive to West Anderson Lane and Northcross Mall with its new, low-profile Walmart. For more shopping and entertainment choices, it’s just five minutes to The Domain or The Arboretum.
Dining / Entertainment
Dining and entertainment choices in NW Hills include local eateries and national favorites:
That’s to name just a FEW!! One never goes hungry in this neighborhood.
Five Fun Facts about the Neighborhood
1) Developer Bill Milburn named Valburn Drive after his daughter, Valerie Milburn. Valburn Drive is a beautiful street with executive-level homes that boast amazing views.
2) Milburn built his personal home on a gorgeous view lot on Valburn Circle and later sold it to Michael Dell.
3) Michael and Susan Dell helped acquire the 40-acre site of the Hart Family Ranch, where the Dell Jewish Community Center (JCC) is located, housing a year-round heated pool, gym, Jewish School, several synagogues, walking trails, and after-school and summer programs.
4) The most notorious resident of NW Hills was atheist Madelyn Murray O’Hair. She was living in the area when she mysteriously disappeared in 1995.
5) Anderson HS originated in 1889, and after many location changes over the century, was finally opened in 1973 on its present site on Mesa Drive and named for one of the first Anderson HS black educators and principals (who had served from 1896-1929) Mr. L.C.Anderson. It is now academically in the top 2% of public high schools in the nation, according to Newsweek, with commended test scores and average SAT scores (1686) higher than state (1467) or national (1509) averages.